It is the intention of the school to reflect the community it serves and be open to any resident of McKeesport Area School District first.
All references to dates are defined to mean the CLOSE OF BUSINESS on the date indicated.
- The re-enrollment process is conducted for the existing student body for the forth coming year, beginning on January 1st and ending on April 1st of the same year.
- In each successive school year, students who were enrolled in the school the previous year will keep their seats in the school until they graduate, provided they submit a re-enrollment form.
- Students who do not submit a re-enrollment form by the deadline (February 29th) must re-apply during remainder of the initial or “open” enrollment period. All aforementioned applicant rules will then be enforced.
- The initial or “open” enrollment period is available until April 1st of each year.
- If, on April 1st , there are sufficient seats for all applicants to attend, the applicants will be asked to complete registration paperwork for admission.
- The Lottery, if necessary, will be conducted on April 7, 2016 @ 5:00 PM.
- If there are more eligible applicants than available seats, the school will conduct a manual or an electronic lottery to determine who will be asked to register.
- All applications received after the initial or “open” enrollment period will be accepted on a “First-Come, First-Served” basis, after the waiting list, generated by the lottery, has been exhausted.
- All students selected in lottery are enrolled upon submission of proof of age, residency, immunizations, enrollment acceptance form and home language survey only. Limited additional information will be requested, but not as a condition of enrollment (e.g. picture ID, former school information, academic and special education records)
Lottery Rules and Procedures
All outlined lottery rules and procedures will be enforced.
Lottery refers the selection of applicant names by a random method manually or electronically. In order to be included in the lottery drawing, submit a complete, accurate application and all required documentation by the lottery deadline.
- All Applicants (except siblings of currently enrolled students) participate in the lottery.
- The lottery will be open to all, and will be easily understood and followed by all observers.
- Only applications received prior to the end of the initial or “open” enrollment deadline, April 1st, are eligible to participate in the lottery.
- All applications received after the initial or “open” enrollment period will be accepted on a “First-Come, First-Served” basis, after the waiting list has been exhausted.
- All Applicants offered a seat shall be required to affirmatively respond to an offer for acceptance within five (5) calendar days. Those not responding (excluding declined offers) will be placed on the waiting list with an application date equal to the date the initial offer expired.
- Only one (1) lottery shall be conducted by a school to include all grades in which the number of applicants exceeds the number of expected seats available.
- If the number of applicants is less than the number of seats anticipated to be available, no public lottery shall be conducted for that grade. Should a seat become available, the next student in line according to the results of the lottery shall be offered admission.
- All offers of registration shall be made in the order of the lottery results and established waiting list.
NO OFFER SHALL BE MADE TO A STUDENT NOT PROPERLY ENTITLED TO THE NEXT AVAILABLE SEAT.
The Lottery, if necessary, will be conducted by April 7, 2016 @ 5:00 PM.
Enrollment preference will be given to siblings of currently enrolled students, the children of full-time faculty, staff and members of the board of trustees, and the chartering district’s students (McKeesport School District).
Sibling preference: Charter school law allows us to give siblings of current students priority at the time of our lottery. Please submit an application for any siblings that are not currently attending the school and mark that they are a sibling of a current student. If we have more siblings that apply for a grade than there are spots available, we will hold a sibling lottery prior to the open enrollment lottery. To be eligible for our sibling lottery, you must enter an application for the siblings during the open enrollment period. Any applications received after the open enrollment period will be placed in the next available spot on the waiting list. A sibling is defined as a biological or legally adopted brother or sister who lives in the same household as the current YSMCS student. To receive sibling preference, parents or guardians must bring a completed application to YSMCS by the enrollment deadline. If your sibling application is received after the enrollment deadline, the sibling’s name will be placed at the end of the waiting list.
Waiting List: YSMCS maintains a waiting list for all grades. To make sure all children are treated fairly, we use the following process:
- Assign a number to each child on the waiting list by lottery.
- Send you a postcard or email message after the lottery to tell you your child’s place on the list.
- Move children into a class as space becomes available, starting with siblings of current YSMCS students and then children with the lowest waiting list number for each grade.
- Call your home to inform you of your child’s acceptance.
All applicants offered a seat shall be required to affirmatively respond to an offer for acceptance and complete enrollment documents within five (5) calendar days. Those not responding (excluding declined offers) will be placed on the waiting list with an application date equal to the date the initial offer expired.
If your child is on our waiting list, please be patient. We typically do not know about any available space until the end of June or later in the summer. To make sure we can get in touch with you, please update us regarding any changes in address or phone number.
YSMCS does not keep waiting lists from year to year. If your child is still interested in attending YSMCS, you must resubmit a completed application each year.
2016-2017 Lottery Applications
The initial or “open” enrollment period is available until April 1st of each year.
Current students who do not submit a re-enrollment form by the deadline (February 29th) must re-apply during the initial or “open” enrollment period.
The Lottery, if necessary, will be conducted on April 7, 2016 @ 5:00 PM.
You will be able to submit lottery applications electronically at www.ysmcs.org, or you will be able to obtain them in the front office and submit them in person.