Young Scholars of McKeesport Charter School (YSMCS) in McKeesport, PA, and focuses on teaching students to be life-long learners with an emphasis on Mathematics, Science, and Technology to prepare them for a global economy. Our no-tuition public school offers a rigorous curriculum in a fun and interactive environment emphasizing world cultures and languages. YSMCS limits class size to only 20 students and offer many opportunities for parents to be involved in their students’ education. YSMCS is replicated from two high achieving charter schools in Pennsylvania.
- Young Scholars of Central Pennsylvania Charter School that has received Keystone Achievement Awards from the Pennsylvania Department of Education every year since opening and scores highly on yearly progress reports, and
- Young Scholars of Western Pennsylvania Charter School in Baldwin PA.
During the 2015-2016 school year, we anticipate to have 200 students enrolled in grades K-4.
The mission of the Young Scholars of McKeesport Charter School (YSMCS) is to teach multiple critical world languages by providing a learning environment enhanced by individualized education approaches and technology. By utilizing research-based pedagogy that is designed to foster language learning as well as impart a global perspective that promotes appreciation and understanding of world languages, regions, cultures and traditions, students encounter a rich academic environment supported by current technology that will prepare them for college and careers in the 21st century.
Our vision is to create a new level of equity among students by introducing two world languages, in addition to English, that is inaccessible in the current or proposed offerings in the McKeesport Area School District. With this multi-linguistic approach, all students will find themselves immersed in at least two new languages, in addition to English.
- Preparing students for college and life-long learning.
- Providing verbal and written communication skills in two world languages
- Developing an advanced performance in mathematics and sciences
- Promoting student projects and presentations.
- Tutoring to students by students of Penn State University
- Preparing of gifted students to any kind of competitions, contests, science fairs or science Olympiads.
- Encouraging strong family involvement.
- Giving an opportunity to share cultures and benefit from each other.
- Supporting multicultural events in school.
- Providing the extensive use of technology.